> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Brian McGrogan wrote:
> >
> > I've written a patch to tn5250 which adds a command line option,
> > listen_port=nnnnn, which sets up a listening socket and allows you to
> > send keys to the client remotely and also remotely control the client.
> >

> I'm not sure that I understand this.  What are you trying to accomplish,
> exactly?   Why would you want to control a client remotely?  And if you
> do, why not just telnet to the box, then send the keys as normal?
>

> Well, you've got my 2 cents. :)   I'm quite interested in what you're
> trying to accomplish...?

I'm trying to script mutliple different AS/400 terminal sessions,
preferrably from a perl program.  I've come at it from this angle, which
i've almost got working, and also using the Expect perl module which also
works.  The object is to send mulitple key=%d commands remotely over a
socket, and then get back @record <data> as a
response over the same socket.  Connecting to the AS/400  (SSL) over a
socket is possible, but would be extremely clunky as i'd be forced to do
the translation myself anyway.  A perl module API to send/receive data
remotely from an AS/400 is another option but too time consuming to write
(I havent found one yet, if you find one let me know...).

I like the Expect perl module so far the best because it is the fastest
method to achieve my goal, but it would be nice if I didnt have to use
Expect, i.e. it was natively supported by the tn5250 client to
send/receive data in a raw form using IPC (sockets, signals, semaphores,
pipes, whatever). I prefer sockets over the other forms of IPC for this
task.

-brian