From: Scott Klement [mailto:klemscot@klements.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 10:10 AM
To: 'LINUX5250@midrange.com'
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] Minus Key sends different something to 400

This is a "feature".

When TN5250 was originally written, it was being used at the Linux
console, and all keyboard remapping would affect all sessions, not just
the ones that TN5250 was running on.

That meant that you could not remap the - key to send Field-, or the
+ key to send Field+.  Why?  Because the other sessions would no longer
be able to type a + or -.  For example, I would not be able to write
this E-mail, because the + and - keys that I'm typing here would not
work.

So, what they did to workaround this problem is that they have code
that makes the + and - keys work as field+ and field- only when you're
currently in a signed numeric field.   When not in a signed numeric
field, they act as the + and - keys.

When I started working on the project, I found these rather strange
+ and - keys to be irritating because I frequently use the Field+ key
(since it's a nice big key that's easy to hit) to exit non-numeric fields.
This didn't work with the special + key handling, instead, it would
insert a + sign in my field.

So, I added code to allow "true" field plus and field minus keys.
Since I was using an xterm, I did not have problems with the keys
conflicting...  I just remapped the keypad to send Field+ for the +
key, and Field- for the minus key.

So, now we have the behavior that you described.   The keypad sends true
field+ and field- keys, and the + and - keys that are "above the letters"
will send the + and - symbols which TN5250 treats differently if you're
in a signed numeric field or not.

None of the other emulators do this, because none of them come from a
Linux console keyboard mapping background.   AFIAK, we're the only
emulator to ever make this "handy innovation."

Unfortunately, the only way to disable this feature at this time is
to change the source.  (but it probably should be made a config option
so that it can be disabled more easily)

To disable:

      1)  bring up the display.c file in your editor (from the src
            directory)
      2)  search for the tn5250_display_interactive_addch( function.

      3)  comment out this section of code:

   /* '+' and '-' keys activate field exit/field minus for numeric fields.
*/
   if (tn5250_field_is_num_only(field) || tn5250_field_is_signed_num(field))
{
      switch (ch) {
      case '+':
         tn5250_display_kf_field_plus(This);