The amount of the screen that it uses isn't a function of the window size,
but rather it's a function of the font size.   If you use a bigger font,
it takes up more space on the screen.

In Windows, there's an experimental keyword that may help you.   Try
specifying the +resize_fonts keyword.

If you don't like the way resize_fonts works, or if you're using the Unix
version, you need to specify the font size specifically in your tn5250rc
file with the font_80 and font_132 keywords.   You'll probably have to
experiment with different settings to get a font that you like.

For example, in my FreeBSD (which is very much like Linux) machine I
can type:

        xt5250 font_80=12x24 font_132=12x24 as400.example.com

I can get a list of fonts by typing:
        xlsfonts

In Windows, I'd have to specify the font.   something like this might
work:

         tn5250 font_80=Terminal-12x24 as400.example.com

Experiment with it, you should eventually find something that you like.