On Wed, 29 May 2002, tw01@email.it wrote:

> Hy all,
>   i'm testing tn5250 0.16.4 with RedHat 7.3 but I have problem with font
> dimension, with device name and Terminal Type. Infact i cannot configure
> font for 80 columns and 132 colums and i can't define a device name and
> the type of session (132 or 80 colums)
> I tried with change xt5250 parameter and write -font_80 = 10x20
> -font_132=6x12 but the program lock. I only write -font (or -fn) but i
> can't configure font for the 2 type.

Remove the leading -.  There is no - in tn5250 args.  Should look like
this:

         xt5250 font_80=10x20 font_132=6x12 as400.example.com

> I tried to put tn5250rc in some place (/usr/etc/local , ./ ,
> /Tn5250/share/tn5250 ...) and i tried to put .tn5250rc in the same place
> but it doensn't work (If i wrote tn5250 CEDS10 i have a "Could not start
> session: No such file or directory" error and if i wrote xt5250 CEDS10
> the program didn't start)
> The tn5250rc file is:
> CEDS10 {
>   host = 10.20.2.0
>   xterm_font80 = 9x15
>   xterm_font132 = fixed
>   map = 280
>   env.TERM = IBM-3477-FC
> }

There are two potential tn5250rc files.  The "global" one is used for all
users of the system, and the "per-user" one applies only to the user
logged on.  The user file overrides the global file.

The global file is (by default) located in /usr/local/etc/tn5250rc
That's the only place you can put the global file, unless you've
either changed the source code, or changed the prefix when you compiled
it.

The "per-user" file is in the user's home directory, and is a hidden file
to avoid clutter in the home directory. So it's called ~/.tn5250rc  (or
/path/to/users/home/.tn5250rc)

Those are the only places that tn5250 will look for tn5250rc.

In your config, you need to remove the "xterm_" prefix for the font names.
They should just be font_80 and font_132.   You should be able to type
xlsfonts from your shell to get a list of fonts your system supports.
Make sure that 9x15 and fixed are listed (they are on my system)

If you're trying to also set the device name, you need to specify
env.DEVNAME in your config file as well.   The result of all of these
changes will look something like this:

CEDS10 {
   host = 10.20.2.0
   font_80 = 9x15
   font_132 = fixed
   map = 280
   env.TERM = IBM-3477-FC
   env.DEVNAME=CEDS10
}

And this will go in the file called ~/.tn5250rc
Then type xt5250 CEDS10 to launch it.

Is "10.20.2.0" even a legal IP address?  I did not think you could have a
zero for one of the octets.

> With the windows version all works very well but i must configure it in
> RedHat...

TN5250 was originally developed for Linux, and I use it regularly on
RedHat 6.1, 6.2 and 7.1 without any problems.