On 8 Apr 2002, Martin Rowe wrote:

> I've tried it on a few more boxes at work now and the install itself is
> very slick; no problems to report. There is, I think, a bug in the Quick
> Connect for device name where only the first nine characters of the name
> get used. A ten character name like TN5250TEST ends up as TN5250TES for
> the session name. It works fine from tn5250rc however, so I assume it's
> parsing in QC at fault.

Yuck.  I guess I really missed the boat on that one. :)  That should be
easy to fix, I'll try to fix it tonight after work.

> Incidentaly, is there anyway of defaulting the
> map to other than 37 (285 for me) used on QC, other than recompiling
> specifically.

You want it to pop-up 285 in the Quick-Connect dialog, right?
I could change it so that "tn5250 map=285" would cause the quick-connect
dialog to bring up "285".  (At least, I think I could...)  Would that
help?

> The only other thing that's got me stumped is running it through VNC.
> For some bizarre reason the roll and cursor keys don't do anything at
> all. They seem fine using them on the Windows PC directly, but nada if
> accessed through a VNC session. Does anyone else see this effect? The
> cursor keys work fine in all other Windows apps via VNC that I've tried
> - including running vncviewer on the windows box back to my Linux box
> and xt5250 running there (though response is a bit slow this way ;-).

The keyboard handler in the Windows version is RADICALLY different
than the one in xt5250 (actually "cursesterm").

Do the function keys work?   How about error reset, sysreq?  I'm thinking
that maybe VNC is only sending WM_CHAR messages to the window instead of
WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEYUP messages.   That's unfortunate, since we can't
can't do all of our possible keystrokes without using the lower level
messages.

> Finally, running a precompiled version instead of tweaked CVS one made
> me take notice the colour issue again. What is the reason why cyan is
> substituted for blue?

Well, that's what the Unix version does... it uses Cyan instead of Blue.
Also, thats what RUMBA does by default (which is the other emulator we use
here).  Actually, I originally used blue in the Windows version of TN5250,
but my co-worker (who I asked to try it out) immediately complained about
it being blue, so I made it cyan before releasing it to the public :)

> I'm guessing it's down to readable colours
> available when tn5250 is run in a console, but it would be better (IMHO)
> to use the correct ones where possible. I know some people like to remap
> them anyway, but as blue and cyan are compiled to the same colour, you
> can't remap them independantly.

Yeah, we really need to add color mapping support!   Along with keyboard
mapping...   One of these days, I'll get around to that... :)

Actually, color mapping would be pretty easy to do since there are only 8
possible 5250 colors.   Green, White, Red, Turquoise, Yello, Pink, Blue
and Black.  They could easily be config keywords:

      green = 0,255,0
      white = 255,255,255

etc.  (the numbers are the RGB values)

Of course, the RGB values wouldn't work in cursesterm...   sigh.   I
could we could "just know" that 0,255,255 = cyan, 255,0,0 is red, etc.