Hi,

Just as a quick aside, any time you set "env.XXX" variables, all lp5250d
does is store whatever you typed into a buffer, and then send that data
along to the AS/400.   It doesn't actually know what they mean. :)

When you set the "env.IBMMFRTYPMDL" variable, you're instructing your
AS/400 to send printer control sequences to the printer.  This means that
your AS/400 is telling it the CPI, LPI, orientation, and many other
things by sending the appropriate escape sequences to the printer.
lp5250d just passes those escape sequences through without modification.
This functionality of your AS/400 is called "Host Print Transform".

So, there are potentially three solutions to the problem:

     1)  Instruct your AS/400 to send the correct settings by changing
           the appropriate print files to the correct settings.

           example:
                  CHGPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) CPI(10) LPI(6)

     2)  Create a custom host print transform for this printer which
           discards the LPI and CPI settings.

           For more information, see Chapter 10 of the Workstation
           Customization manual:

      http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/DOCNUM/SC41-5605-00

     3)  Turn host print transform off.  (i.e. do not set the
           env.IBMMFRTYPMDL variable) and then send the printer escape
           sequences the Unix way.  (for example, by defining an
           input filter in your /etc/printcap file)

Good Luck!