On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, James Rich wrote:

> > There may already be an easy way of doing scs2pdf. It's occurred to me
>
> It sounds like you guys are getting this to work using lpd.  Cool, my code
> is already obsolete.  I'm not so sure that this is easier, though.  Now
> you need lpd working on two boxes, instead of (possibly) none.

Actually, this same method works fine with lp5250d & scs2ascii.  I just
posted a message with a sample config (approx 1 minute ago)

> However,
> it would be intriguing to find out what would happen with a printout that
> has IPDS or AFP stuff in it.  If it has to be converted to ASCII then I
> bet some nice elements would be lost.

I'm 99% confident that IPDS and AFP would not work in this scenario.
Unless...  Is there a way to get Host Print Transform to output
PostScript?  That would make the graphics work as well.

> I had planned to add IPDS type stuff to scs2pdf so that it could print
> signatures, graphics, etc.  No reason why scs2ps couldn't do the same.
> I don't think this could be done if it had to be converted to ASCII
> first.

If you convert it to plain ASCII text, then it couldn't do the graphic
stuff.  If the AS/400 was able to output PostScript, however, that would
solve the problem.

Otherwise, you'd need something that actually understands AFP.  If your
program could be made to understand AFP, that would be awesome!  (But
probably a lot of work)

One thing about scs2pdf that I like better than the enscript/ps2pdf thing
is that scs2pdf runs a WHOLE LOT faster, requires a lot less system
resources, etc.