On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, James Rich wrote:

> Ok, I fixed some stupid errors that were preventing multi-page PDFs from
> working.  Thanks go to Scott for one of those (buffer overflow - it wasn't
> the variable gdb was reporting that was having a problem.  variable 'text'
> was being written to way beyond it's bounds and that was wrecking the
> other variables.  Dumb, dumb, dumb).

I didn't look at it that indepth...  clearly a variable was hosed, but
I didn't have the time to trace it down to the source.   Glad you found
it!

> Also the problem with job logs being print all squished should be fixed,
> too.  Thanks to Scott again for pointing me to the AHPP command.
>
> Time to test, test, test!  If anyone wants to try printing directly to PDF
> files, give this a shot.  Some things are not ready yet, but it would be
> good to know what is broken that shouldn't be.

Do you know of any issues with font sizes?   I just did a 1 page document
(a job log) and it worked great.   Then I did a 22 page job log, and it
showed up as a larger font, and chopped the right hand edge off of the
page.

It's progress though!  (Yesterday, it just crashed on the 22 page report!)

> Scott, can you commit these changes?  This should make scs2pdf actually
> work for people, much better than what is already there.

Okay, done.

When you do the next batch of changes, do you think you could also add an
entry to the ChangeLog file, and send me a recursive diff?  That way, you
can explain what you did -- rather than me just saying "Applied another
patch from James" which doesn't really give much info.

> Note for developers:
> I placed #ifdef DEBUG ... #endif around fprintf statements that dealt with
> SCS codes that I think we handle correctly.  If you want to see all that
> stuff (and a little more) you need to #define DEBUG.

sounds good.   I wonder if we should consider using syslog(3) for these?
Not just in scs2pdf, but also in scs2ascii & friends...   I just know a
time will come when someone has problems in production, and we need to
track down what's going on.  And that would be hard to do when scs2pdf
is connected to a daemon process by a pipe -- unless we used syslog()...

Not important, though... it was just an idle thought.