>On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Scott Klement wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there are any XML to PDF translators out there?  (But I'm
just

>None that I know of.

There is an excellent one called FOP but it is written in Java:
     http://xml.apache.org/fop/
It uses the coming XML page description standad "Formating Objects" (fo)
(for a good introduction see e.g.:
     http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/01/17/xsl-fo/index.html

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/education/transforming-xml/xmltopdf/index.html
     http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch18.html
     http://www.sun.com/software/xml/developers/slides-dtd/
)
FOP is able to produce pdf, ps, pcl, svg and many more (rtf soon).

The output of scs2xml does not even have to be in fo-XML. (which is quite
complex)
It would be very easy to transform it via XSL! I would volunter
to help you doing this, just give me an example xml.
(Just writing the complete scs2xml would be to complex for me at the
moment.)

BTW: Such a scs2xml ported to OS/400 would even be able to produce
beautyfull graphial printouts without AFP or IPDS.

>> too lazy to look)  I know you can translate TEX to PDF, which might be
an
>> option here.
>
>Yeah, I'm not sure that those produce searchable PDFs either.  Of course I
>wouldn't mind having my reports in TeX...

PDFs produded by FOP are searchable!

>> But maybe I'm living in dreamland :)

Let us join you!

Dietmar Bürkle