On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Rosewood wrote:

> I am sorry for this as it is completely OT, however I find that trying
> to get ahold of people that are familiar with AS400s in my parts is
> quite difficult.  Would anyone here know where I could find instructions
> on how to properlly install ethernet cards into the following models:
>
> 9402 400
> 9401 150
> 9401 170

I can't directly answer your question, but perhaps I can help you get
started:

   a) Whomever you're buying the ethernet cards from should be able to
       provide you with instructions.  Contact your local IBM business
       partner, or IBM itself.

   b) If that doesn't help, go to http://www.midrange.com and sign up for
       the "Midrange-L" mailing list.  There are people there who do this
       type of thing for a living -- and you wouldn't have to feel guilty
       about posting off-topic :)

> The company that uses these systems until last week had ban'd the use of
> ethernet cards in the system.  I assume that once the card is installed,
> I can use the Linux 5250 to get full system access?  Are there any other
> free windows programs that don't suck for this as well?

If it's free, try it and decide for yourself if it sucks.  :)

The only other FREE 5250 emulator that I know of is at:
      http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net

Though, you might also try MochaSoft, which isn't free -- but you can try
it for free, and it's inexpensive:
      http://www.mochasoft.dk

> Again - I am soo soo sorry because I know this is terribly off topic (I
> have been a list member for a few months now but am always so bogged
> down I never get a chance to really read up on this stuff).
>
> Any help would be greatly apriciated!

Good luck!