On Wednesday, November 21, 2001, at 12:51  AM, Scott Klement wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Myles Toomey wrote:
>>
>> Sure. The only problem there is that i am working off a note book and
>> do
>> not have a full size keyboard.
>> Tell me what to do and I shall go for it....
>
> That's fine... I guess I'm just asking that whatever you end up doing
> to make things work nicely for you, that you contribute that information
> so that the next OS X user can try it, too... :)

OK. I'll write it up nice, then......

Right now it seems to be working, save for that F14 thing.  xt5250 is
using the regular (keyboard) f-keys. In tn5250 I was using the <esc> key
followed by <1 through => or those shifted to get a command key. And
this worked save for the F14....

>> I already am having a problem with the F12 key, as the same key is used
>> to pop the CD player, and it does not seem to be sending to the screen
>> at all. Not a tn5250 problem, I understand. I'll check on the apple
>> page.
>
> Yep.  That's the sort of thing that would be nice to document so that
> the next guy will know how to handle it. :)
>
>> The other issue I noticed in tn5250 (as opposed to xt5250, see below)
>> is
>> that something was up with my F14 key. I went into an old version of
>> BPCS which requires that you press F14 to get off the splash screen.
>> While <esc> 3 worked as f3, and <esc>-^ (shifted 6) worked as f18 in
>> pdm, the 400 did not seem to recognise f14 when on the BPCS splash
>> screen. What am I doing wrong?
>
> On PC keyboards, "shift-2" is the '@' symbol.   Is this also the case
> on your Mac?  If not, this might be the issue.

Shift-2 is @ here also. i tried with numb lock off and on. Is there any
way to trap the keystrokes to see what is going on?

> This is where a termcap or terminfo would be helpful.  If you set the
> termcap entry for "F14" correctly, then Shift-F2 will do the job.

cool. As i am clueless, where do i look at it?

>> the process i went through to install was -
>> get Xdarwin from XonX and install it
>> get xfree86 from sourceforge and install it.
>> get ncurses from sourceforge and install it
>> get tn5250.....
>>
>> I seem to recall that ncurses wanted X11R6 for some reason, but i may
>> be
>> wrong....
>
> Strange.  ncurses shouldn't need X11.  (I'm using the terms "X11" and
> "X11R6" and "XFree86" interchangably here...)  I'm not familiar with
> Xdarwin.  Maybe that's what required X11?    Tn5250 only requires X11
> when running it with "xt5250".

XDarwin is the piece (really technical term there) which allows X
Windows to run on Mac OSX. Darwin is the opens source kernel. The curses
implementation on Mac OSX I have seen described as "primitive". In
earlier efforts to install stuff I had ncurses complaining about the
absence of various components. I did the Xwindows install, and it build
like a charm. I realise that they should not be interdependant, but I
cannot explain (or remember) beyond that....