  • Subject: Re: Pasting text into tn5250
  • From: "Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice" <eraserhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:52:56 -0400

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 08:58:15PM +0100, Martin Rowe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've asked this before a while back, but would like to know if things are
> any different now: When I paste more than a line of text into tn5250 it
> acts as if the enter key was pressed after the first line goes in. The
> end result is usually one or two lines made up from the first & final
> lines copies :( Obviously I can do it a line at a time, but it gets a bit
> hairy copying a particularly convoluted SQL statement from one session to
> another, only for it to try and execute it before I've got to the last
> line...

Bummer.  ncurses has mouse support (man curs_mouse).  I don't know if this
mouse support allows you to _intercept_ the paste stuff or just tack handling
on to it.  The other interesting thing is that there is no way to access the
clipboard from the console.  I guess that would mean no, there is no way
to do this from the console.

The other possibility is that there is a particular xterm escape sequence
(or other method) which can be enabled... or maybe you can tell xterm to
translate \r when pasting in X resources.  I wouldn't know where to go looking
for the dirt on xterm.

> I understand this is a _feature_ of xterm, rather than an oddity on
> tn5250's behalf, but is it possible to code a work around? I run vim in a
> term (aterm as it happens) and can paste big blocks of text quite
> happily, so I'm assuming it *can* be done somehow _ I just don't know how
> involved it would be. As an alternative would it be feasible to configure
> a key binding that read in the contents on the clipboard and inserted
> them at the cursor location?[1] I'd *love* to have rectangular selection
> a la Client Access - it's the only feature of that bloated monster that I
> miss.
>
> [1] Keyboard selection of text would be even better if it could be
> achieved :-)

Keyboard selection of text, even keyboard selection of a rectangular region
I think, is possible using screen.

> --
> martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net
> http://www.dbg400.net  DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities
> Open Source test environment tools for the AS/400 / iSeries and
> miscellaneous database & spooled file management commands.

Unfortunately, this is why I need to finish the Python/GUI front end.  *Sigh*,
so much to do, so little time.  (Hence I'm working on a weekend ;-(

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice