  • Subject: Re: Config Bug
  • From: "Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice" <eraserhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:21:04 -0400

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:13:51PM -0500, Scott Klement wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got a few other things I'd like to fix in the configuration stuff,
> > > since there's a lot of steps you have to take manually on FreeBSD systems
> > > right now  (you have to patch xt5250, replace XTerm, install termcap
> > > entry, etc)   Should I try to avoid calling anything from the shell in
> > > configure.in?
> >
> > Nah...  The only advice I've really ever heard is that you should try to do
> > things based on whether or not certain features are present as opposed to
> > what kind of system it is.  For example, a Windows version might use
> > WSAAsyncSelect() instead of select(); if we support this, we should use
> > WSAAsyncSelect() based on whether the function was found, not whether the
> > host type is Windows.
> >
> > Of course, this is not always possible, but I've found it's made things much
> > more portable and I've been pleasantly surprised when a package just happens
> > to work on a new system ;-)
>
> Well, what I'm trying to do is install the things in the "freebsd"
> directory when running on a FreeBSD system.   And install the things in
> the "linux" directory when running on a Linux system.
>
> I guess the real reason I'm grouping it by "Linux" and "FreeBSD" is
> because that's what the directories are called. :)

It was originally just for the terminal types, which are pretty OS-depedent.

> Here are the issues I'm trying to solve:
>
>     1) The "dialog" command that comes with FreeBSD does not support
>          the --backtitle argument.  So, for xt5250 to bring up a
>          prompt with dialog, this has to be omitted.   I could probably
>          create a test in configure.in that would check to see if
>          --backtitle is supported...   (or maybe backtitle isn't
>          important and we should omit it entirely?!)

It's not necessary, but it's a nice touch.

>     2) Different keyboard maps should be installed in FreeBSD than
>          in Linux.  Right now, it always installs the Linux one, and
>          you have to manually install the FreeBSD one if you want it.
>          I don't know how to distill this down to a "feature".

True, this one probably should be keyed on the system type.

>     3) a different XTerm file is needed under FreeBSD.   The strings
>          containing the tilde "~" character don't seem to work with
>          FreeBSD's termcap library.  I have no idea how I'd check
>          that in configure.

The first question is whether there is a different thing we can put in the
XTerm file that will work on both platforms.  If not, then that should
probably be keyed on the X windows version or the xterm version, whichever
is the deciding factor.

> So what I was thinking that I should do is move XTerm to the linux
> directory, and put my FreeBSD version in the freebsd directory.
> Have autoconf change the SUBDIRS in Makefile.in so that it only
> built the linux directory for Linux systems, and the freebsd
> directory on FreeBSD systems.
>
> And do a "--backtitle" feature check in configure.in so that xt5250.in
> uses backtitle only when available.

This should actually be done from the script which calls dialog (xt5250).  You
know, like:

if dialog --help |grep -q backtitle ; then bt_arg="--backtitle $title" ; fi

dialog $bt_arg ...

For reference, both dialog -h and dialog --help return text containing the
word 'backtitle' on RH7.1.

> Or is there a better way?

I hope this is useful...

-Jay