  • Subject: Re: maybe ot: vt100
  • From: "Mike's Linux Server" <everidge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:56:28 -0400

There's a 5250 emulator that runs under Xwindows that comes close to the CA
client (but still no cigar).  It's called MochaSoft and it has a tn5250 client.
The software is a free download with a $25.00 registration fee.  It is stable,
and works well with a few quirks because it's running under Linux.  Keyboard
mappings is still an issue.  The only way to rid the problem of keyboard mapping
problems is a full blown keyboard table and removal of the reliance on the Linux
telnet feature.  That would be a complete rewrite and would cause problems under
different release distributions but, in the long run, I feel would be an
advantage.  I would like to see a full tn5250 emulator (Windows replacement)
running on Linux in the near future for it would have great possibilities.

One thing to remember, this is still beta code - a work in progress, and not an
easy task.

Mike Everidge