  • Subject: Re: Named devices and IBMRSEED
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:08:50 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Bob Luebbe wrote:

> We can't seem to find any place within the LINUX source code in which
> a device name can be specified.  We can find where the terminal type
> is set, but not the actual device name.  Can you point me to the place
> in the source that specifies that.

I assume you know that to set the device name, you type:

tn5250 env.DEVNAME=DSPxx hostname

So you are looking for where TN5250 tells the AS/400 what the device name
is?  Or isn't that what you mean?

First of all...   All configuration strings from either the command line
or from a config file are loaded into variables by the functions called
"tn5250_config_parse_argv" and "tn5250_config_load" in conf.c.

When the AS/400 requests that we send our enviornment variables (using
the "IAC SB NEW-ENVIRON SEND" telnet option) TN5250 dumps all variables
beginning with "env." to the AS/400.  You can find the code that does
this in the function called "telnet_stream_sb" in telnetstr.c

> Also, I noticed the text "IBMRSEED" is part of the string to set the
> environment.  In what reference material or manual can I learn about
> IBMRSEED or how to set the device name.  I can't seem to find anything
> about it in the on-line sources you have on your web site.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Luebbe

I believe all we're doing with IBMRSEED is logging it.   At any rate,
you can find documentation on both the IBMRSEED option and the DEVNAME
option (amongst many other things) by reading the following RFCs:

RFC1205 -- 5250 telnet interface (IBM's orig RFC for tn5250)
     look for it here:  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1205.txt

RFC2877 -- 5250 telnet enhancements (includes DEVNAME, RSEED, etc)
     look for it here:  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2877.txt

Of course, if you're not already familiar with the other TELNET RFCs,
they're useful for understanding what things like IAC, SB, VAR, USERVAR,
etc are -- and why they're used here.

Does that answer your question?   Or do I misunderstand what you're
looking for?