  • Subject: Re: FER - valid keys
  • From: Sean Porterfield <sporter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:38:10 -0500

Scott Klement wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Sean Porterfield wrote:
>
> > When FER is set, only certain keys are valid.  The ones I know of are
> > arrow keys, TAB, BACKTAB, BACKSPACE, ENTER, FIELD EXIT, FIELD +.  (This
> > was tested on a 3487.)  The odd thing about the "real" terminal is left
> > arrow which  doesn't move the cursor, all other arrow keys do.  I guess
> > it moves left back into the field.
>
> On most terminals, once you get to the end and you've typed the last
> digit, the cursor flashes a little differently, and you're in a mode where
> you need to press a field-exit (or similar key) before you can continue.

Yes, I suppose that is correct.  The only FER field I can think of in
our software is a one character field, so it's hard to tell some things.

> Can you elaborate on what's wrong with FIELD+?  If it happened in the last
> few weeks, its probably my fault. :(   What does it do wrong?

Input Inhibit goes on instead of FER off (FER stays on according to the
display, don't know about code.)

> > I added K_ENTER to my display.c and it seems to work well.  I don't know
> > how to fix up arrow, right arrow, down arrow, FIELD+, FIELD- (if FIELD-
> > should really work - it doesn't on my "real" terminal).
> >

> Just above where you added the K_ENTER there is some code that says
> something like:
>
>       case K_LEFT:
>       case K_BACKSPACE:
>          tn5250_display_indicator_clear (This, TN5250_DISPLAY_IND_FER);
>          return;
>
> Try adding some code below that which looks like this:
>
>       case K_UP:
>       case K_DOWN:
>       case K_RIGHT:
>          tn5250_display_indicator_clear (This, TN5250_DISPLAY_IND_FER);
>          break;
>
> (note the "break" instead of "return" will cause it to move up/down/right
> as well as clearing FER)
>
> Is that what you're looking for?   (I'd get up and try it on a terminal,
> but I've just spent too much time with tn5250 today, already)

Keeping in mind that I'm not a C programmer, and the only one I really
cared about was enter (there were others I cared about, but they've been
fixed for a while)...

Having said that, the above code seems to make tn5250 function as I
would expect on my FER field.  (I only have one 1 character FER field in
the software we use...)

Scott, wanna get Jay a patch?  It's mostly your code... :)  Otherwise
I'll give it a shot.