  • Subject: Re: More thoughts on hyperlinks in tn5250 and mozilla integration
  • From: james rich <james.rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 10:18:33 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Martin Rowe wrote:

> --- "Jack J. Woehr" <jax@well.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Why just launch a browser?  Why not make the browser and tn5250 *the
> >> same*.
> >
> >This is equivalent to asking, "Why not port tn5250 to Java so you can
> >run it as an applet?" I've been thinking about doing so.
> >
> Could the tn5250/browser or applet disable forward & back page functions?
>There's some discussion over on the openerp400 list[1] about using a browser
>interface rather than 5250 which raises this issue.

Integrating tn5250 and mozilla is *not* the same as writing an applet.
Mozilla can become a 5250 client, not just run one inside its window.
With XUL you can dynamically change the UI, so that when you are in a 5250
screen all the functions keys are modified to do 5250 functions.  Back and
forward buttons are disabled or enabled however you want.

But more than that html and 5250 data are displayed together, inline.
Now, without modification, menus can be displayed as hyperlinks to
applications instead of just green screen.  When a menu option is clicked
on, mozilla sends 5250 commands back to the host, not html.  Even better,
the back button could be wired to work as F12=Cancel when appropriate.
Now your web browser will have a field exit key that will work like field
exit (right adjust, pads with zeros or blanks anyone?).  You can put an
enter key that will cause mozilla to send the screen contents in a 5250
stream to the host, just like any emulator would.  You have changed the
abilities of the app, not just put another app inside it.

James Rich
james.rich@m.cc.utah.edu