  • Subject: Re: 5250 & 3270 together?
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:51:09 -0400

wsuetholz@centonline.com wrote:

> The functions necessary to support the two datastreams are very similar,
> and the command sequences are also very similar.  I would think that
> with sufficient generalizations for screen buffer updates, you would
> be able to fit 3270 datastream parsing into the 5250 datastream processor.

We had some discussions about this before, and I think we concluded that
our 5250 emulator was sufficiently abstracted enough to brave the change
without many problems.  Really, the only thing which would need to be
re-implemented from the client-side is the session, and probably various
pieces of functionality would have to be implemented in the display and
display buffer code.  For the server side, wtd.c would probably have to
be either modified or re-implemented for 3270.

There are three or four open-source 3270 emulators.  I downloaded them
at one point with the intention of checking which if any could be hacked
and merged with tn5250, but then I decided I didn't have adequate
resources
to test features and functionality (I hear that using 3270 to connect to
an AS/400 can burn lots of CPU).

IIRC, beware that telnet negotiation may behave differently for 3270
hosts.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice
(jfelice@cronosys.com)