  • Subject: Re: gnome-5250 key map
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:36:10 -0400

Martin Rowe wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any documentation on what the key mappings are for gnome-5250. I
>realise Jason has set the keys to match a standard terminal (Field exit is
>Enter, Enter is Right Ctrl, etc), but I can't find Print (tn5250 C-p) or Attn
>(C-a). I've looked in gnome5250terminal.c and /usr/include/gdk/gdkkeysyms.h,
>and they appear to be handled (in the 3270 section ?) but as which keys?

Hehe.  The 3270 keys are only available from a 3270 X terminal.  I
mapped them just because I can, but they aren't useful to people with a
PC keyboard.  I've never even seen a 3270 X terminal, but apparently
there is one, as X has keysyms for it.

Flexible keyboard mapping is on the to-do list, but for now I'm
hard-coding keys to be as close to a real dumb terminal as possible.

Print key is mapped to the Print Screen key, if I'm reading that right.
I'm not sure that will work...  Attention isn't mapped anywhere - tell
me where it usually is mapped and I can get that done in thirty seconds.

> Unrelated issues -
>
> gnome-5250 is a lot slower than tn5250 (run as xt5250) in screen repainting -
>is this down to debug code in the build? Does it need to run in a Gnome
>session? I have Gnome installed but use Blackbox as a wm.

It shouldn't need to run in a gnome session.  The screen repainting
works fine on my machine (700 PIII ;-) and also fine at home (200 K-6),
but there is an issue where it is redrawing parts of the terminal much
more than necessary (every time the cursor blinks).  I _do_ plan to fix
that, but I'm more worried about getting basic functionality working at
this point.

> Now that font selection is available, can anyone recommend a good one to use.
>I'm currently trying courier new (got xfstt going with my windows fonts).
>Incidentally, I get screen resizing both ways 80 <==> 132 using courier new at
>18 & 12 pixel size respectively. If the window height changes it resizes, but
>it doesn't if it's only the width that changes (with 20 & 12 pixel size)

Huhn?  That isn't working for me...  What version of GTK+ do you have
installed?  I have 1.2.6 and probably something slightly older at home.

You can pick fonts with `xfontsel'  I really can't recommend any fonts
for two reasons : 1) I can never find a font *I* like, and 2) which
fonts you have is completely dependent on where you got your X server.
The only one you can count on is `fixed'.

There are a few 3270 fonts floating around, but I haven't tried them.
They may be in EBCDIC character sets, so it might not be useful.