  • Subject: Re: Config & Gnome (Was Re: Working lp5250d...)
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 13:44:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Jason M. Felice wrote:

> It is a bit cumbersome, I think so myself.  I didn't really have a better way
> accomplish the goals without either a) introducing a lot of additional
>maintenance
> or b) not having access to all the options from the command line or c) not
>having
> the system generic enough to be used in the Gnome 5250 emulator as well
> as the console 5250 emulator.
>
> BTW, I've resurrected some code from the first attempt at the Gnome 5250
>emulator
> and have gotten it working again, and the config code was a life saver here.

Your points on the "config stuff" are well taken, Jay.  Thank you for
explaining the situation.  I don't have any better ideas that'd meet all
of the goals that you list...

So I'll get used to the config options... :)

> Unless there are any objections, particularly from Mike Madore, I'm
> going to pull Gnome 5250 into the tn5250 CVS tree so that changes
> won't get "lost."  If it is still buggy (I cleaned it up a bit last
> night, have to test better), I'll have it disabled by default.
>
> That's one of three pieces of code I'm sitting on.  The second was an
> `experimental' pure GTK+ interface that never really got off the
> ground.  If I merge that with the Gnome support, I could have,
> basically, "Gnome support which still compiles without Gnome."  This
> is good to resurrect the Windows port.
>
> The third piece of code is a contribution both Mike and I received
> which did a lot of Windows NT portability, and implemented a bunch of
> features which would allow the 5250 code to be used server-side
> instead of client-side.  The server-side stuff was written to allow a
> third-party product (an AS/400 environment?) to serve 5250
> connections...  I'm not sure how far a jump it will be from the code
> in this patch to a tn5250d program/environment/API/whatever, but it is
> a _big_ step in that direction.

Would it be possible to make a new release (and include my recent
patches) before adding all of these new things into the code?  I'd like
to help test & troubleshoot this project...  But at this point, tn5250
is important to me getting work done, I need something to fall back on
if a change turns out to make the emulator unstable...

The Gnome/GTK+ stuff sounds interesting (especially now that I'm using
Gnome as my primary desktop on 4 machines)

I guess I'm a little confused about the whole "tn5250d" concept.  What
would this be useful for?  If you don't have an AS/400 in the equasion,
why on earth would you want to run the 5250 protocol?   If you do have
an AS/400, why wouldn't you use the telnet daemon thats a part of the
operating system?

Regards,
Scott