  • Subject: Re: Remote sessions hanging
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:04:37 -0500

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 12:30:32PM -0500, Jeff Volckaert wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I'm using TN5250 0.15.6 to connect from home and have a problem with the
>session
> hanging.  I also use it at work everyday and the sessions don't hang.  I have
> the hospital connected to a cable modem via a Cisco PIX firewall with an
> IP reserved for the AS/400.  My home Linux server is also connected to a cable
> modem.
>
> I ran TCPDUMP here at work and SSHed into home and ran TN5250.  If I type
> WRKACTJOB it works fine.  I did ten of these and all were succesfull.  Then I
> select menu item 2 from my main menu which runs WRKACTJOB and the session will
> hang about two-thirds of the time.  Watching the tcpdump I can see a few
>packets
> go from home to newton and back, but the screen doesn't change.  I can Cntl-Q
> and restart TN5250 and repeat this test numerous times and once in a while
> WRKACTJOB from the command line will hang and most of the time '2' off the
>menu
> will hang.

Interesting.  I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, and the fact
that it's sporadic seems to indicate it's some sort of timing/network issue
that we're not handling properly - we've had similar problems to this, so I
know where to look, sort of.

> If I repeat the test with telnet then nothing hangs.
>
> Also, I'm having a small problem with TN5250 with the keymapping.  F5 seems to
> generates 15~ instead of refreshing the screen in WRKSYSACT.  I think all the
> F13-F24 keys are messed up.  I 'export TERM=5250', then 'loadkeys us5250.map',
> then 'TN5250 -u work'.  SInce I almost always use XT5250 (which works fine) I
> only notice the problem when I'm doing this from my home server.

This sounds like you have a version of tn5250 from CVS which has the new
keyboard handling enabled.  Try commenting out the #define USE_OWN_KEY_PARSER
near the top of cursesterm.c, recompiling, reinstalling, and testing.  You
can comment out the line by inserting "//" at the beginning of the line if
this is the case.

> Any suggestions?

Try reinstalling the software.  Make sure all versions of `lib5250*' are deleted
from the system, all versions of `tn5250' and `xt5250', most of this (but
probably not any prior versions) can be removed by doing `make uninstall' in
the source directory as root, but you should still check (using `locate') to
make sure you've gotten everything.  Then delete your source directory, your
tarball, get a fresh source tarball, unpack, rebuild.

I'm not sure this will do anything, but I know that strange things can happen
when one version's tn5250 is using another's lib5250 or when tn5250 is using
the wrong version keymap or something.

> TIA,
> Jeff Volckaert

If it still happens, let me know.  I'm not currently set up to test (I don't
have access to a 400 until probably middle of next week, nor the time at the
moment - apologies).