  • Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic, but it references something Jason mentioned
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:19:15 -0500

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 08:35:04AM -0700, mark.spencer@scotiabank.com wrote:

> Jason mentioned that he has managed the following....
>
> >Can Excel import XML?  I hacked a utility called asdbget which uses FTP and
> >some AS/400 specific magic to retreive files from the 400 and put translate
> >them in to ASCII XML format (which has a header describing the complete
> >file layout).
>
> Can you tell me how you managed this ? I am trying to work out a method of
> converting AS400 spool files to ASCII so that I can then display them as part
>of
> a web page. My thought is to give "manager-type" reports to the manager-types
> without giving them access to the AS400 spool-files.
>
> The steps I believe I need to take are:
> 1) Convert the spool-files to ASCII (or XML, or whatever...)
> 2) FTP them from the AS400 to the web-server (Sorry, it's NT-based IIS4.0)
> 3) Include the data in an HTML page for display bya a manager
>
> The only part I am unclear on is the conversion. I have cobbled together
>scripts
> to handle running the remote command, FTP'ing the files, and inserting the
>data
> into the page, so hte missing link is the conversion.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated by the trees of our planet, since it
>would
> mean not printing thousands of pages daily.

Manager types?   They'll print the web pages, then re-enter the data into their
emails and spreadsheets :)

It would not be difficult to port asdbget to Windows - it is based on some code
from a package called ftplib, which supported Windows.

The actual conversion takes place within asdbget, but I haven't tested it on
spool files to see what I would get.

I've posted it on my company's site temporarily:
ftp://baldwingroup.com/pub/linux/asdbget-0.1.tar.gz

This is a preliminary release, if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces :)
Also, don't expect it to be located at that site for very long.

> Mark Spencer
> mailto:marksspencer@home.com

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice