  • Subject: Re: Stupid question
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:04:41 -0500

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 06:13:28PM -0500, Jason M. Felice wrote:
> 'specially in the GTK+ and Gnome versions when they're all done - Some
> emulators can figure out that you are viewing a menu and where the options are
> and allow you to click on them - this is something I think is particularly
> nifty.  Clicking on function keys is easier - just look for 'Fx=' when
> displaying the data.

Oh, I must mention a few other ideas to the list before I forget them into
oblivion (note: some of these may not be worth the effort, this is just sort
of brain-storming and what I see as the neatest, most useful features of
other emulators):

Context sensitive help for fields.  I hear the next revision of Gnome will
have context-sensitive help (does it already?) - I figure it would be neat
to be able to click the context-sensitive-help arrow on a field and the
emulator would act as though you had put the cursor there and pressed either
'Help' or 'F1'.

Drag-and-drop - dropping a file on the emulator window should bring up
a file transfer utility of some sort - once that's finished (Mr. Madore and
I have resurrected as4002unix to do some nifty automagical FTP-fu, I should
probably post that soon).

Also, how IBM's 'Graphical Access' handles help is pretty neat.  Detects a
help window on the stream, reads the contents of the window (including using
Roll Up until there's no more 'More...'), fill a scrollable window, and go
back to emulation.

There's one last option (this is for WAY long-term future).  I've seen it in
another emulator but I forget who made it.  It has enough logic to be able to
keep track of which screens you've been to and you can bookmark a screen and
return to it from any other screen by clicking on the bookmark.  This also
has the ability to start from any screen on the system.  This emulator also
has the ability to use DDE or OLE to include active 400 data into another
document using screen scraping (cut, then paste special in Excel).  Opening
the Excel document automagically opens a hidden copy of the emulator, goes to
that screen, re-scrapes it, and pops it into the document.

This is aside from general Gnome desktop integration utilities (optional, of
course) that I'd like to have, and aside from what's currently in the TODO.

Feel free to add to this list your most favorite abilities from other
emulators.  Let the discussion begin ;)

-Jay