Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Seth Cohn <scohn@oregonmed.net>
Subject: DOS version of TN5250

> Actually if it weren't for the TCP/IP stack, I could be fairly certain
> that this would compile under DJGPP.  I know DJGPP has curses support
> and all. It wouldn't be a terrible stretch.

I figured not... but it's beyond me.  I'm a techie, and know enough
programming to read the code and make changes, but not write from scratch.

> > $100 to the first person to create a working DOS version...
> > including TCP/IP stack (you can use crynwr packet drivers)
> >
> > If I could have a dos version tn5250, I'd be very very happy.
> > My boss would be even more so.  Be worth $100 to me just to give
> > this to him and amaze him at what open source can do.
>
> Are you serious?

I am serious.  $100 for a DOS based answer.

Conditions as follows:

size: I prefer it fitting on a boot floppy.  1.2 meg would be preferred
( a few older 1.2 drive out there).  If it's just not possible (why not?),
then I'd take a slightly larger answer... 1.44 or even small (20
meg) HDs...

tcp/ip: standard ethernet cards (as I said, crynwr drivers is fine)
I mostly need ne2000 or 3com card drivers.

5250:  I need to replace hardware terminals.  Color is fine, but not a
requirement.  Keymapping to match real 5250 is a requirement.  Full 5250
emulation, at least for the terminal end is needed.  I don't need printer
support (we use networked printers).  Stuff not doable in dos console is
ok (like rulers, odd characters, etc)

Open sourced answer:  GPL preferred, but I'm open to something less free.
No licensing hassles though, please.  I want 'free beer' at least.

>From searching usenet, I know others out there want answers like this...
I'd bet it's a common problem for As/400 using companies who have lots of
older 386/486 boxes, which runs windows like crap, and would love to not
have to buy more 5250 terminals (which are EXPENSIVE, a full PC system is
a better value these days) and they are SNA based (which is getting to be
more and more of a pain... SNA sucks, tcp/ip rocks.)

$100 for a working solution.  Out of my own pocket.  Worth at least that
much to me, just to see the look on his face.  I'll write a check when I
can go to one of my sites, insert a preconfigured floppy (with IP address,
gateway, etc) bring up an as/400 login, and the user can use it like a
5250 terminal, and I can walk away from it.

Seth