  • Subject: Re: Newbie question
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:35:47 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 02:37:34PM -0400, Brad Clements wrote:
> On 30 Sep 99, at 10:04, Scott Klement wrote:
>

> > On the bright side...  if you're using TN5250, the data thats being
> > sent back and forth is in EBCDIC. :)   Its a bit less likely that
> > someone has a packet sniffer looking at EBCDIC codes!   Unless, of
> > course, he's attacking you specifically...
> >

> Anyone remember NCSA Telnet, or it's offshoot CUTCP/TN?
>
> I wrote CUTCP/TN (added 3278 emulation to NCSA Telnet for DOS)
>
> After our university suffered a bit of hacking, I modified the program to
> promiscously sniff telnet/rlogin sessions and present the data in real-
> time on screen, so you could view telnet sessions as the user typed..
>
> Naturally it also worked for 3278 sessions, they were MUCH EASIER to
> sniff because they're block mode (just like TN5250). EBCDIC really
> doesn't help, and the block-mode nature makes it very easy to sniff
> 5250/3270.

Wow!  What a _cool_ hack!  Where can I get me one?

I want to rip some code out so I can snoop 5250 sessions.  Hell, that would
be a neat feature to add to 5250, especially for figuring out why something
doesn't work with our emulator.  Certainly better than my current alternative -
'portsnoop'.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice