Trying to sort out some corruption on a linux partition after a V7R1 upgrade and not being a full time Linux geek is coming back to haunt me. Here's the issue:

The file system mounted on /dev/sda3 appears to be read only. I get this at the partition console when I boot up:

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root
file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it
read-write do:

bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /

Cool. I know how to run that command, so I run it and then run the suggested fsck command (I think):

Give root password for login:
(none):~ # mount -n -o remount,rw /
(none):~ # fsck.reiserfs /dev/sda3 --fix-fixable
reiserfsck 3.6.13 (2003 www.namesys.com)

** If you are using the latest reiserfsprogs and it fails **
** please email bug reports to reiserfs-list@xxxxxxxxxxx, **
** providing as much information as possible -- your **
** hardware, kernel, patches, settings, all reiserfsck **
** messages (including version), the reiserfsck logfile, **
** check the syslog file for any related information. **
** If you would like advice on using this program, support **
** is available for $25 at www.namesys.com/support.html. **

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sda3
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
reiserfsck --check started at Mon Nov 27 16:17:04 1972
Partition /dev/sda3 is mounted with write permissions, cannot check it
(none):~ #

So, I don't get it. fsck tells me it can't fix a read only file system and so when it is set to read/write fsck complains that it is mounted with write permissions. So, *which* is right? What am I missing so I can fix it?

Thanks,