Last night, we switched the customer box in question from running Tomcat under Java 7 (64-bit) to Java 8 (64-bit), and all day today, the processor load from the Tomcat server has been dramatically lighter. I haven't seen the overall CPU over around 70% today, and haven't seen the Tomcat's JVM job usage over 30% (as I type this, the overall is at 48.1%, of which the JVM job is a mere 7.8%), where before, it was peaking at full saturation, with the Tomcat JVM job alone accounting for as much as 90% or more.

I am cautious about this, but I think maybe just the switch to Java 8 alone has solved the problem.

--
JHHL