I would use PropertyTemplate. There is a Java Example here: https://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html#DrawingBorders

One issue with Scott's prototypes is that at POI 3.15 they started converting int constants to Enums. and at 3.17, the methods deprecated in 3.15 will be removed. Enums are simply a class and can be defined in Java as if they were just another class. You need a few other definitions to access them though.

This defines a way to retrieve a specific enum given a string.

// Enum Names
dcl-c BorderExtent_ENUM
'org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.BorderExtent';
dcl-c BordetStyle_ENUM
'org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.BorderStyle';

// Enum Objects
dcl-s BorderExtent
Object(*Java: BorderExtent_ENUM);
dcl-s BorderStyle
Object(*Java: BorderStyle_ENUM);

// Enum Prototypes
dcl-pr BorderExtent_valueOf
Like(BorderExtent)
ExtProc(*Java: BorderExtent__ENUM:
'valueOf')
Static;
value Like(jString) const;
end-pr;

dcl-pr BorderStyle_valueOf
Like(BorderStyle)
ExtProc(*Java: BorderStyle__ENUM:
'valueOf')
Static;
value Like(jString) const;
end-pr;

// Class Constants
dcl-c CellRangeAddress_CLASS
'org.apache.poi.ss.util.CellRangeAddress';
dcl-c PropertyTemplate_CLASS
'org.apache.poi.ss.util.PropertyTemplate';

// Objects
dcl-s CellRangeAddress
Object(*Java: CellRangeAddress_CLASS);
dcl-s PropertyTemplate
Object(*Java: PropertyTemplate_CLASS);

// Prototypes
dcl-pr new_CellRangeAddress
Like(CellRangeAddress)
ExtProc(*Java: CellRangeAddress_CLASS:
*Constructor);
firstRow Like(jint) value;
lastRow Like(jint) value;
firstCol Like(jint) value;
lastCol Like(jint) value;
end-pr;

dcl-pr new_PropertyTemplate
Like(PropertyTemplate)
ExtProc(*Java: PropertyTemplate_CLASS:
*Constructor);
end-pr;

dcl-pr PropertyTemplate_drawBorders
ExtProc(*Java:PropertyTemplate_CLASS:
'drawBorders');
range Like(CellRangeAddress) const;
type Like(BorderStyle) const;
extent Like(BorderExtent) const;
end-pr;

dcl-pr PropertyTemplate_applyBorders
ExtProc(*Java: PropertyTemplate_CLASS:
'applyBorders');
sheet Like(Sheet) const;
end-pr;

To draw single outside borders around cells B2:D4

dcl-s range Like(CellRangeAddress);
dcl-s pt Like(PropertyTemplate);
dcl-s sh Like(Sheet);
dcl-s bType Like(BorderStyle);
dcl-s bExt Like(BorderExtent);

bType = BorderStyle_valueOf(new_String('MEDIUM'));
bExt = BorderExtent_valueOf(new_String('OUTSIDE'));
range = new_CellRangeAddress(1:3:1:3);
pt = new_PropertyTemplate();
PropertyTemplate_drawBorders(pt: range: bType: bExt);
PropertyTemplate_applyBorders(pt: sh);

The same set of borders can be stamped on multiple sheets if you wish.

Mark Murphy
Atlas Data Systems
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx