Tim Rowe suggested:
> /QIBM/ProdData/OS/OSGi/templates/bin/areVerify.sh -network

I tried that on two customer boxes.

A customer with a slow undeploy speed had this message in /network.out:

ERROR! Local host name is different from host name retrieved using reverse DNS lookup

It has 3 DNS addresses, all of which showed available.

In searching the host table, it DID find the FQDN; a customer with much faster undeploy speed did NOT find it.

Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
What you describe sounds like an I/O bottleneck. With the performance tools
(even as far back as V5R4) you should be able to see what the major wait
states are and based on what your describing I'll bet on I/O queuing. Are
the DASD controllers higher end with cache? What's the Cache hit rate?

Unfortunately, what I know about performance tools, and a buck, might buy you a cup of very cheap coffee. Can anybody point me in the direction of what performance tools I should use, and how to use them?

The other thing to look at is the IFS. (since that's all IFS work and Java
is a major dog for performance) Is the root loaded up with too many
objects/directories?

The faster customer box has 79 objects in the IFS root. The slower customer box has 97.

Are the Path variables set to avoid the scanning of
large directories with many subdirectories to look for the TomCat (Catalina
if I remember correctly) files?

I looked at the environment variables for the Tomcat JVM jobs on both customer boxes; PATH and LIBPATH appear to be of comparable length and content, and the other environment variables also appear comparable.

--
JHHL