I wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Tomcat 7.0.67 on an V6R1 box (the same
> level as our box), and when I launch, I get a crash-on-takeoff with
> an exception I've never seen before. Here's the complete
> catalina.out; anybody here seen anything like this? Maybe a missing
> PTF?

I just noticed something about my original email.

Somehow, the crucial exception itself got missed when I was cutting and pasting from the terminal session into the email, which suggests.

Immediately following the INFO message about APR came the exceptions and stack traces, reproduced here:

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.crimson.tree.DOMImplementationImpl incompatible with org.w3c.dom.ls.DOMImplementationLS
at org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener.lifecycleEvent(JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener.java:459)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:402)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:99)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:642)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:667)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:253)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:427)
Jan 26, 2016 12:38:02 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
SEVERE: The required Server component failed to start so Tomcat is unable to start.
Throwable occurred: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: An invalid Lifecycle transition was attempted ([before_start]) for component [StandardServer[8005]] in state [INITIALIZING]
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.invalidTransition(LifecycleBase.java:409)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:144)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:693)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:428)

--
JHHL