Hello All,

I'm having some issues with handling Hebrew data that I was hoping some
of you might be able to help me out on. I'm trying to send Hebrew data from
an RPG program to a Java program which the Java program then takes and
constructs a PDF. I'm having a few issues with processing the Hebrew data
to get it into a correct display order. I'm the Java programmer on this
project so please excuse any iSeries/RPG ignorance.

So first off the RPG program sends a string of data to the Java program
that is a mix of Hebrew/English/numerical data. The data comes from a
spooled file on the iSeries and is actually each line of the file. There is
no processing of the data on the iSeries side and it is sent as is. The
Java program is receiving most of the data as I would expect in a logical
order. Logical order being the order in which the characters were typed.
I've used the Java Bidi class to process the data and I've tried the
AS400BidiTransform class. Both of these classes can handle most of the data
correctly and get it into a correct display order. The issue is that there
are certain strings of data that are received in an unexpected order.



This is best explained through examples so assume capital H's are Hebrew:



An example of a situation that can be handled by the Java Bidi class or
AS400BidiTransform:

First the correct display order:

english :HHHH

I would receive this string as:

HHHH: english

The first H in the received string would be the right most H in the display
order. As you can see this would be a logical order for bidirectional data
as the user would type the Hebrew and then switch to LTR with the english
portion. There are much more complex situations that are handled correctly
by the Bidi classes as well but this is just a simple example.



Now an example of an incorrect ordering:

Correct display order:

350 X 250 X 150 :HHHH

Received order:

HHHH: 150 350 X 250 X



This data does not seem to be in a logical order. The first number after
the Hebrew, 150 in this case, seems to stay within the RTL segment while the
rest of the equation gets put into a LTR segment. The Java Bidi class and
the AS400BidiTransform class do not process this correctly. There are many
more situations where this happens and way too many to have special cases
for.



I've been reading all about bidirectional data processing and iSeries
support for it and can't seem to figure this out. I'm thinking it might be
an issue with the CCSID on the iSeries. The system's CCSID is 65535 and all
our jobs should be the same. So from my understanding there shouldn't be
any conversion on the iSeries side but somewhere along the line this data is
getting jumbled.


If any of you have any experience with this or any ideas they would be much
appreciated. Let me know if you need more information. Thank you for your
time.



Regards,

Geren White

CYBRA Corporation




As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Follow-Ups:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2021 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.