Reminder to self... Do *not* read\reply overnight, while preparing to or actually falling asleep!

For some reason I totally missed the "defined as eight characters, CCSID 37", having read\processed only the "8-byte unsigned integer".

I suppose a likely problem origin is for use of CCSID 37 instead of FOR BIT DATA; the collation [Sort Sequence] would be moot for the kind of issue I am thinking of.

Using CHAR as INTEGER requires use of [actual or effective] BINARY to ensure no unintended character conversions. There could be some effective translation between the ASCII and EBCDIC encodings, even if just for the space\blank character. The JAVA interface likely identifies itself to the database open as an ASCII interface. So even if not wild results for full conversion of the key, very possibly any integer 'string' ending with any 0x20 character(s) may be comparing equal with EBCDIC character string ending in 0x40 character(s).... or something silly like that. I had diagnosed past issues for which unpredictable results were the problem, for a user of a keyed access method, with key values generated by concatenating integer data as though it were either null-terminated-string or fixed-length character string.

Regards, Chuck