One of our contract developers has looked over the process of establishing a secured JDBC connection, and he had this to say:

Firstly, I have to say, IBM solution for SSL connection is a freak, it
require using bunch of zip/jar and use them to generated a class which
relative to server certification, then use that class to do communication.

in this process, it requires:
1. Server certification (not keystore)
2. Bunch of zip/jar which only contained within server (I do not have any
places I can download them)

Because the process is not look very complicated, I decided to send you
the introducation so you can try it by yourself if you want (it is much
easier for you to get those packages anyway)
. . .
The official introduction for how to use SSL connection is in here.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzahh%2Fsslcert.htm

I'm about to follow his link, and read up on it, but if anybody here has experience with the process, I'd like any insights you can give.

Basically, we need a generalized solution, that will work on customer servers, preferably without having to rebuild the whole damned client anew for every customer.

--
JHHL