From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of D*B
Sent: 29. juni 2012 09:27
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: RPG, JVM and ClassPath V7R1

... the directory for the Java extension mechanism normaly is
/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/ext and additional /QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext, not
depending on the java version; this is documented in the JDK docu of AS/400
(and all compatible systems). I have found lots of rubbish here in most
installations!!!
I don't use JNI calls from RPG to Java and I don't recommend this, because:
- it's near to impossible to controll the JVM properties (you have maybe one
of the problems)
- the JNI support is buggy (never saw a "crashing" JVM without usage of RPG
JNI calls)
- starting multiple JVMs is not recommended (Performace capabilities
reference V7R1 page 176) I'm using one prestarted JVM serving multiple RPG
clients in a multithreaded environment since about ten years (I have
published this later on as OpenSource Framework AppServer4RPG - BTW: ArdGate
is running on AppServer4RPG with very nice performance and scalability).
So I have none experience with RPG JNI calls of my own.

For further investigation maybe you could do:
- hava look to the ext directories, if there might be an outdated version of
one of your jar files
- superseed the ext mechanism by setting the java property extdirs before
starting the JVM
- start the JVM with -verbose
(I don't know, how to manage last 2 recommendations, as I (nearly) never
used the RPG/JNI stuff)

Dieter Bender
--
This is the Java Programming on and around the IBM i (JAVA400-L) mailing