From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:34 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: Re: FW: Using PCML from Java to Call C/400 Program

On 12/28/2011 8:28 AM, David Gibbs wrote:
On 12/28/2011 6:11 AM, Tomer Sason wrote:
I am using PCML to call C/400 Program from my Java program. The C
Program gets 2 arguments in the main's argv[] argument , and set the
processed value back into argv[1]. When I run my java program and
send the excepted arguments, the C program is executed but I can not
get the returned value. I set the usage in the PCML file to be
inputoutput. Is there a way to get the value that set back in argv[1]
?
Although I'm not an expert in C, shouldn't each element of argv be specified as a separate parameter in the PCML?

So it would be something like ...

<pcml version="1.0">
<program name="myCProg" path="/QSYS.LIB/MyLib.LIB/MyC_Porg.PGM">
<data name="argv1" type="char" length="100" usage="inputoutput"/>
<data name="argv2" type="char" length="100" usage="inputoutput"/>
<data name="argv3" type="char" length="100" usage="inputoutput"/>
</program>
</pcml>

That way, if you set the value of argv[1], you could retrieve the value from the PCML using 'myCProg.argv1'.

Even more problematic is that AFAIK C parameters are not bidirectional.
Back in the day at SSA we had to create our own parameter passing technique. It used a stream file to pass parameters between the two programs. Ugh. The flashbacks! THE FLASHBACKS!!!!!

Joe