I think I have found the solution.

The PCML file used to look like the following:
<program name="IP028" path="/QSYS.LIB/LIBNAME.LIB/PGMNAME.PGM">

Changing it to the below has worked a treat;
<program name="IP028" path="/QSYS.LIB/%LIBL%.LIB/PGMNAME.PGM">

Looks like other "special" values are allowed as well. %ALL%, %ALLUSR%,
%CURLIB%, %USRLIB%.

Regards.
David.