There was no OS upgrade or PTF applied on our systems since the problem
started, I do not know about clients. We run v5r3, v5r4, and v5r6 here and
support back to v5r2 for our customer base. RPG invokes the jvm and sets
the class path and environmental variables and begins and ends the object
group. RPG calls the methods within an instantiated object. Before any
upgrades locks on all rpg objects are checked and the upgrade will not
continue if it cannot allocate all objects. The basic processing on the rpg
side has been the same for a number of years. Some java methods were
connecting to the iSeries for data retrieval.

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dan Kimmel
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 4:28 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: RE: .jar files in use on a restore

I think the connection pool is a red herring. The problem probably has more
to do with an OS upgrade or PTF applied in the last year. I'd need to know a
lot more to offer any other suggestions. What OS version? What kind of
programs use the jar files? How is the jvm invoked? Where does the rpg
program enter the picture? Is the rpg program calling methods on objects in
the jar files? Do you stop all instances of the rpg program before
attempting to replace the jar files?

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Anna Abt
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 2:38 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: .jar files in use on a restore

Recently we have run into an issue when trying to run upgrades of our
software. I have a clle program that does a restore to an ifs directory
with new .jar files. There have been instances lately where objects have
not been restored because they are in use. Speaking with our java
programmers I did learn that there was a change made in the past year to
create a connection pool and keep it open for a longer period of time for
performance enhancing reasons. Doing some testing, we removed the
connection and are now sending the data from the rpg programs to the java
methods. We are still finding that the .jar files stay in a "in use" state.
Can anyone tell me how we might get around this or why this seems to be
happening all of a sudden? We even did a simple test adding a classpath of
3 .jar files and running 2 programs, the first opens a connection and prints
and the second closes the connection. Those 3 files still are in use and
unable to run a restore against.







--
This is the Java Programming on and around the IBM i (JAVA400-L) mailing
list To post a message email: JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe,
unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/java400-l
or email: JAVA400-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a
moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/java400-l.




As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Follow-Ups:
Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2021 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.