Sounds like what you want to use is JDBC to your i database and tables. You can make your exits pre- or post- insert or update triggers on your tables. You could use stored procedures on the i and use JDBC to run them.

You can use toolbox to directly run a command or program on the i if that's what you're trying to do. In fact, you can probably directly call the programs you were using with APPC by changing the interface to use values in positional parameters instead of from your com interface. A program call through the toolbox can access a parameter modified by the program called on the i. The toolbox does all the copies for you.

________________________________

From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of James H. H. Lampert
Sent: Tue 6/8/2010 3:34 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: Applications with exit programs

Gary L Peskin wrote:
I don't really understand what the issue is here. Are you intending to
rewrite your server application entirely in Java? If so, I don't see a
problem with invoking the existing exits using JNI possibly through a small
intermediate RPGLE "glue" program depending on the data types involved. But
maybe I'm missing something.

All Java is external to the midrange box, and all Java would continue to
be external to it, with the Toolbox and JDBC replacing our proprietary
protocol, and Host Servers replacing our proprietary server.

--
JHHL