I am in the final stages of working on my presentation for Common (on Monday at noon BTW) and I have run into an issue with BIRT that I can't solve. When I invoke a Birt Report from a standalone application (not a web app) I receive the following exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalAccessError: org/eclipse/birt/report/model/metadata/ExtensionManager.initialize()V
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.impl.DesignEngineImpl.initialize(DesignEngineImpl.java:106)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.impl.DesignEngineImpl.newSessionHandle(DesignEngineImpl.java:149)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.DesignEngine.newSessionHandle(DesignEngine.java:108)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.parser.ReportParser.getDesignHandle(ReportParser.java:143)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.openReportDesign(ReportEngineHelper.java:251)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.openReportDesign(ReportEngineHelper.java:191)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.openReportDesign(ReportEngineHelper.java:125)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngine.openReportDesign(ReportEngine.java:285)
at com.valadd.report.engine.BirtGenerator.executeReport(BirtGenerator.java:34)
at com.valadd.report.engine.Sample1_Test.main(Sample1_Test.java:16)

I have a wrapper class, BirtGenerator.java that has a few convenience methods. This wrapper is then wrapped by some RPG procedures to make this available to ILE RPG programs. It doesn't make any difference *how* the wrapper is invoked, either by calling the method on the class directly in QSH (as above) or calling an RPG program that invokes the wrapper, in both cases I get the same exception. I do NOT get the exception if I invoke the same class when I test within my Windows development environment.

I tried using both the 32bit Java 5 and 32bit Java 6 JVM on the i (IBM i 6.1) and I get the same message. I am current on PTF's for Java. This might be a JIT related thing but I can't figure out how to disable JIT for the JVM so I can't tell for sure.

I DID see this once, even in my Windows environment, but it seemed to stem from a mismatch in Birt versions. I have checked and rechecked the jars and both environments seem to match. Unless the jars are cached somewhere on the i, I don't think a version mismatch is the issue.

I could use *any* ideas you might have. I don't quite understand what is being accessed illegally here. Not much in the Birt method ExtensionManager.initialize() to go on.

Help!

Pete