Lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
We upgraded to V6R1 back in November. Java is now failing
because it can’t start the JVM:
“Unable to create Java Virtual Machine.”

Fortunately, we currently don’t do much with Java.

Any thoughts based on my analysis below would be appreciated.

<<SNIP>>

However, CALL QP2TERM fails with a machine check:

call qp2term
Function error X'1720' in machine instruction. Internal
dump identifier (ID) 01003E8D.
Dump output directed to spooled file 1, job
355368/SLENNON/QPADEV000J created
on system PILOT on 02/26/10 13:21:41.
Application error. MCH3203 unmonitored by QP2SYS
at statement 0000000119, instruction X'0000'.

Some information about verifying the installation for things like JAVA_HOME and the .properties is in 3.3.1 of:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247353.pdf

The last part of the quoted message shows an internal system failure, an abnormal failure for which presumably only a preventive PTF [or possibly some corrective action; e.g. reinstall of something] is required. The failure should be documented with a symptom string with some keywords something like the following:
msgMCH3203 T/QP2SYS stmt/0119 vl02001720 CALL QP2TERM

The actual VLIC log [VLog] would capture the failing LIC program in its process dump. The PRTINTDTA *DMP /* or is it correctly, *DMPID ? */ DMPID('01003E8D'), and actual review of that and possibly some prior VLogs will record additional information about the [origin of the] failure.

As for checking installed products\options, OPTION(03) of the OS contains some support for QP2TERM as can be inferred by text from some PTFs. CHKPRDOPT 5761SS1 OPTION(03) may be worth performing to ensure that is\understands itself to be, properly installed. The above .pdf also documents required options and LPPs as well.

Regards, Chuck