From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Sam Shirah
Sent: 16 June 2009 19:44
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: [OT}Difference JDBC connection for AS400 and Postgres

Hi Neill,

Butting in half way through here but so sorry if I missed the point,

Yep, you did, or more likely I didn't express myself clearly enough.

On first read, I thought you were talking about being able to get tables
from multiple databases, like you can get tables from multiple
libraries/collections on the AS/400. That's something I'm facing in a
current project, where to avoid multiple connection pools, looks like I'll
have to qualify the table names when I want something from other than the
default.

I thought that from the line "like you can get tables from multiple
libraries/collections on the AS/400," it would be clear that my comment was
directed towards different database engines, in my case SQL Server. They
generally don't have anything like library lists.

Additionally, since most of the rest of my mail deals with the library
list, I thought it would be clear I'm familiar with it.

Last, I think most people who've been on this list for a while are aware
that I wrote the JDBC 2.0 tutorial on Sun's site a few years back:

http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Database/JDBC20Intro/

which includes DB2/400 in the examples. So, I don't know everything, but I
do understand some of the basics.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400