Smith, Mike skrev:
This is confusing, because I can email to the phone from outlook with no problem. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple.

When you do this you are already inside an SMTP-server, namely Outlook, which knows how to forward your message to the correct host according to the information stored in DNS. You need to get inside an SMTP-server first, when coming from JavaMail, and the one you have chosen does not like your credentials (for some reason spammers tend to do the same as you a lot :)
Depending on your company policy I would talk to the mail server maintainer to figure out the best way to get this done. If you do not have access to a suitable mailserver, you can create a gmail account and send out using the Google smtpservers (not entirely trivial but doable) or look up the MX host for the domain first to use it as the SMTP-server. Note that most modern smtp-servers do tricks to get rid of simple clients.

You might find http://mindprod.com/jgloss/dns.html a starting place for getting into the glory details of DNS and email :)

/Thorbjørn