I'm working on RPG to java. We use External Stored Procedure as a bridge. We create an external stored procedure as a wrapper to call my RPG program. My java program open JDBC connection and call the stored procedure.

I tested the commitment control. It works. However, you have to be careful. If the RPG program has problem, write duplication record to a file, for example, it will send message to System Operator and the program just hang wait for reply. It will be a problem if the system became biggger and bigger.

Kevin

----- Original Message ----
From: Kiran Kumar <bathi74@xxxxxxxxx>
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kiran <bathi74@xxxxxxxxx>; kiran bathi <kkumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:35:59 PM

We are in the process of application migration from COBOL on System I to Java. In the transition phase we would like to call some of the complex COBOL programs from Java using PCML. I have few questions related to commitment control.

Most of the applications follow a template where a master program having start commitment control calls suite of child slave COBOL programs. Based on the return code from the suite of slave COBOL programs, a commit or a rollback is issue.

Most of the application will be re-written in java, but there are scenario where the complex slave COBOL programs need to be called from java. Is it possible to call a slave COBOL program without commitment control from Java usingPCML? If so, where do we establish a commitment boundary?

If I need to call set of different slave COBOL programs from java, how do I set the commitment boundary. The slave programs do not have Startcommitment control?