http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/socktut/tutorial.html

Pete

Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
Hi
Can you please let me know where can i find some
tutorial or examples of socket programing from RPG,
Do you call a servlet using socket or call some java
programing which is listening to come socket port??

Ashish
--- David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
but there is a draw back to this process, it can
only
handle one request at a time, unless you use
threads
in java to handle multiple request at a time, i do not like to use it is a absolute must.
Threads aren't very difficult at all ... I use them
all the time.

so i would like to know more about this tcp/ip
solution how does it work, does it have the same
issue
as data queue, or it can handle multiple request
can you provide some pointers or place where i can
get
some information with code sample
i m pretty comfortable with both the languages.
Well, the issue with handling multiple requests has
nothing to do with the way the request is sent from the RPG to the Java
... if you want to handle multiple requests at one time you'll need to
use threads ... or multiple processes.

TCP/IP is less straight forward than using a data
queue ... but, possibly, more efficient. I haven't really
researched the difference much.

One of the advantages of the TCP/IP technique is
that abandoned transactions are easy to manage. With a data queue
(assuming you use a keyed data queue), you really need to keep track of
what transactions are active and which are not. With TCP/IP if the
transaction is abandoned, the connection is lost and you handle it
programatically.

david
--
This is the Java Programming on and around the