Hi Mike,

First, I want to acknowledge credit where credit is due, and that is to
Carl. How many of us knew about the 8099 limitation? I've written JDBC
tutorials, and I'll own up. Good catch, Carl.

My suggestion is to change your 9999 dates to 8099. You do have this
soft coded somewhere, right? OK, probably not. I do in a similar situation
in another database where they used a "small" time verison, to save space, I
guess. Even if yours is not soft coded, I'd advise biting the bullet and
changing to 8099 (or another date whose value indicates your need.)
Changing to use nulls sounds good, but causes extra coding, like three-way
values, all over the place. I'm thinking SQL needs default "forever" and
"never" dates instead of us having to roll our own. HTH,

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400