If you want to use the X-Windows protocol directly from RPG apps then take a look at http://www.export-ventures.com/rpggui.htm.

It's an as/400 native implementation of the X-Windows client protocol for RPG programmers. But like I said, to use it for new apps, it's a bit of a pain, not scalable enough to be used for production transaction oriented apps and non-trivial to set it all up. Also, programming it takes lots of code and you better know how to program GUI's and event -driven already before delving into this. Better to use a web interface then, or even 5250, me think (although me also think RPG really needs a decent GUI interface).

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:35:08 +0100
From: thunderaxiom@xxxxxxxxx
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Create Graphical interface

Luis Colorado skrev den 06-02-2008 22:14:
Thorbjorn, this is genius!

I loved it... this is really exciting. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to resize the video? My screen size is 1152 by 864, so your video looks huge (I need to scroll around to see it).

Thanks. No, I don't think so - it is only my second try, so I'll try to
remember next time.

Anyhow, this is great. Now I want to try it myself, and look at performance and traffic issues.

Remember the trick is to get the DISPLAY variable right. Good luck.

--
Thorbjørn