john e skrev den 06-02-2008 14:36:
X-Windows works over a network, but it is not scalable to hundreds of users because of technical reasons (it's architecture is not scalable). Also, unix is not like the as/400, and having one program (job/process) running for each interactive user is not a good idea in a unix environment. For unix type servers a client/server approach is best for scalability. And X-Windows is difficult to program for because the underlying base libraries are quite old (25 years).
Could you please elaborate a bit on the "it is not scalable because it is not scalable"? Also I do not understand the rest of your arguments.
So IMHO X-Windows is only useful on the as/400 (PASE) if you have to run an existing unix utility or program which happens to use X-Windows.
Which we most likely do namely the JVM. I will try one of these days to see if Swing is available.