From: Ewout N Boter

On 28 Sep 2007, Marshal Dunbar wrote:

My guess is you've got CCSID conversion issues.

According to the javadocs, the constructor AS400Text(int) is deprecated.

You should use AS400Text(int, AS400). That constructor will use the
CCSID of the AS/400 system you are connected to.

When I examine the entries in the byte array one by one, with parameter
value SHP78E, the result is as follows:

Position 0: -30
Position 1: -56
Position 2: -41
Position 3: -9
Position 4: -8
Position 5: -59
Position 6: 64
Position 7: 64
Position 8: 64
Position 9: 64

I wonder what the output should look like, if everything would be fine.
What should be the byte value for - for example - a character S converted
to a format that is understandable by the AS400?

The EBCDIC data in the array is just fine, Ewout.

For example, -30 is X'E2', while -9 is X'F7'. If I figure it correctly, you
have X'E2 C8 D7 F7 F8 C5 40 40 40 40', which is exactly what you should
expect.

Also, I believe that with the more recent versions of JTOpen that we went
back to not requiring the system anymore. The "most likely" encoding for
the locale is used instead. Otherwise you can specify either the CCSID or
the system or both. But in this case, the converted EBCDIC looks just fine,
so I am a little bit confused. It might be time to turn on a Service Entry
Point to see what's really being passed into the service program.

Joe