From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:43 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: A Dialogue

Kenneth McMenamy skrev den 25-09-2007 22:06:
structured approach to design applications that consistently performed.
Now we are faced with multiple language choices with ever changing
frameworks JSP, JSF, Grails, Spring, Hibernate, EJB, AJAX (Google API), PHP.
. . The list goes on and on...

My two cents is to pick a language **cough** -Java- **cough**, a
framework and stick with it. By the time you complete your GUI'fication an
entirely new set of standards will have surfaced.

For a web application written in Java I would recommend sticking with JSF -
the Sun approach to standards combined with the Apache Jakarta
implementations (which tend to be well-maintained and long living) - have
worked well so far - I have a complete application where the pages
contain only JSF-tags and an occasional JavaScript submit(). This
works well for maintainability.

Additionally the JSF AJAX stuff seems very easy to get up and running when
you have a JSF application already.

But in short: When you choose what to use, it is hard to guess what will be
available and maintained in the next 10-20 years. The Sun standards tend to
hold - notice that all J2EE servers still must implement the earlier EJB
standards so the code will still run - and the Apache site does not seem to
be going away soon.