I use JUnit to test RPG code and I have one piece of RPG that wraps the
QShell CMP (compare) command to compare two files to each other and return
a boolean. When I run that RPG code my Java program receives back the
following exception:

com.ibm.as400.access.ConnectionDroppedException: Connection was dropped
unexpectedly.
at
com.ibm.as400.access.ClientAccessDataStream.construct(ClientAccessDataStream
.java:50)
at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400ThreadedServer.run(AS400ThreadedServer.java:321)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I did a service entry point (SEP) debug through WDSC on the RPG code and
everything completes successfully including turning INLR to *ON, but as soon
as it hands control back to the calling Java pgm it loses it's connection.
I added thread(*serialize) to the RPG program hoping that would help, but no
go. I commented out the single RPG statement call to QShell and the process
works fine. I am guessing it has something to do with the QShell
environment being activated from my RPG program that is causing the Java
connection to drop. Note I am calling the QzshSystem API from my RPG (if
that makes a difference).

Anybody have any hints as to what might be going on?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com